OMMP Pay if Forward

Full Version: How Cannabinoids Interact With Pain Circuits
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

How Cannabinoids Interact With Pain Circuits

What science tells us about cannabinoids for pain management and how cannabinoids interact with pain circuits!

<time class="post-date updated" datetime="2017-12-22" itemprop="datePublished">December 22, 2017</time>

By B.G. Schmidt

Often times when we think about how cannabis is affecting the brain, we consider its effects on the dopaminergic tracts in the central nervous system. And why not, that is the primary region of the brain that produces our experience with cannabis. But there is far more to the biochemical propensity of exogenous cannabinoids and the receptors they act on. Researchers are now looking into cannabinoids for pain, and in the midst of our nations opioid crisis, cannabinoids for pain management is a hot topic.

I have known from personal experience that cannabis can help dull pain when the going gets tough, but I have often wondered, Is there actually a reduction in pain or is my perception of it diminished? Questions about cannabinoids for pain management like these were explored in an extensive review article by the German scientist, Jrn Ltsch, in the European Journal of Pain. I have done my best to untangle a small portion of this vast review, so that the general public may better understand cannabis role in modern health and society.

Our nervous system can be broken up into two primary components: the central nervous system (CNS) and the peripheral nervous system (PNS)....

https://hightimes.com/health/cannabinoid...-circuits/