Welcome Guest to the new home of OMMP Pay it Forward. Please reset your password reset password! if you haven't already. Make sure to check your spam/junk folder for it. x

Smile Welcome members and clients of OMMP PIF. Due to increased costs, our website has moved to this server,  Thanks go to our Friend and colleague, Wired57, for making this possible.  If you have any questions or concerns, please start a new topic in  Arrow  General, and we'll look right into it.  Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile x

Big Grin Thank you EDDIEKIRK & Cheri! for all your hard work over the years. Big Grin x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Diabetes
Diabetes

Diabetes is a condition wherein the body either produces inadequate amounts of insulin or fails to utilize available insulin properly. An estimated 1 million Americans suffer from Type 1 diabetes, which develops in childhood. Another 15 million suffer from Type 2 diabetes, also known as adult onset diabetes, which develops later in life. Symptoms generally include an imbalance of blood sugar levels and a high level of sugar excreted through the urine. Initial studies showed that cannabis has no effect on blood sugar levels. A recent test-tube study showed that very high doses of synthetic THC might aggravate diabetes, but that same research also indicates that continued use of cannabis creates a tolerance to the potential aggravation. [ii] No human studies have found that cannabis or synthetic cannabinoids contribute to symptoms of diabetes. At the same time, no human studies have been undertaken to prove or disprove the reports of long-term diabetics who claim that cannabis use causes an immediate lowering of abnormally high blood sugar levels. [iii] Some diabetics also claim that cannabis helps stabilize blood sugar levels and maintain mental stability, or correct mood swings caused by fluctuating blood sugar levels. [iv] Separating the apparent blood sugar response from the anti-anorexic properties of cannabis is currently a matter for further investigation.

Diabetics are frequently instructed to refrain from alcohol use because of its high caloric content. Cannabis may provide a psychologically valuable alternative to alcohol in stress reduction, a major factor in managing the potentially life threatening symptoms of diabetes. Hence, cannabis may function in several ways to reduce and stabilize blood sugar levels for patients suffering from diabetes. However, regardless of mounting anecdotal evidence in medical practice, including medical testimony before a district court in California, [v] no scientific papers have been published on the effectiveness of cannabis in treating diabetes.

While cannabis has been used as a replacement for insulin, diabetics are strongly advised to continue their physicians prescribed treatment plan.

<em> Maugh, Inhaled formed of insulin passes first test. Los Angeles Times/Seattle Times, June 17, 1998</em>

<em></em>

<em>[ii] Hollister, Health aspects of marijuana. Pharmacological Review, Vol. 38, No. 1, 1986</em>

<em></em>

<em>[iii] Grinspoon, Anecdotal surveys on diabetes. The Forbidden Medicine Website, </em><em>http://www.rxmarijuana.com</em>

<em></em>

<em>[iv] Diabetic reports from Seattle and from the Sonoma Alliance for Medical Marijuana, 1998</em>

<em></em>

<em>[v] Pot gardens size brought case to court. Sonoma Union Democrat (California), March 19, 1998 </em>

<em></em>

<em>
</em>

<div><iframe width="480" height="270" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sTgBvJsHcCk?feature=oembed" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true"></iframe>

</div>

<em></em>

<em>
</em>

<div><iframe width="480" height="270" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jHRfDTqPzj4?feature=oembed" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true"></iframe>

</div>

<em></em>

<em>Drinking Chamomile Tea May Help Fight Complications Of Diabetes</em>

<em>ScienceDaily (Sep. 16, 2008) Drinking chamomile tea daily with meals may help prevent the complications of diabetes, which include loss of vision, nerve damage, and kidney damage, researchers in Japan and the United Kingdom are reporting.</em>

<em></em>

<em></em>

<em>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------</em>

<em></em>

<em>The findings could lead to the development of a new chamomile-based drug for type 2 diabetes, which is at epidemic levels in this country and spreading worldwide, they note. Their study appears in the Sept. 10 issue of the ACS' Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, a bi-weekly publication.</em>

<em></em>

<em>In the new study, Atsushi Kato and colleagues point out that chamomile, also known as manzanilla, has been used for years as a medicinal cure-all to treat a variety of medical problems including stress, colds, and menstrual cramps. Scientists recently proposed that the herbal tea might also be beneficial for fighting diabetes, but the theory hasn't been scientifically tested until now.</em>

<em></em>

<em>To find out, the researchers fed chamomile extract to a group of diabetic rats for 21 days and compared the results to a group of control animals on a normal diet. The chamomile-supplemented animals showed a significant decrease in blood glucose levels compared with the controls, they say. The extract also showed significant inhibition of both ALR2 enzymes and sorbitol, whose elevated levels are associated with increased diabetic complications, the scientists say.</em>

<em></em>

<em></em>

<em>source: </em><em>http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/...80915164519.htm</em>

<em> </em>

<em></em>

<em>Non-Psychoactive Cannabinoid Reduces Incidence Of Diabetes, Study Says</em>

<em>Non-Psychoactive Cannabinoid Reduces Incidence Of Diabetes, Study Says - NORML</em>

<em></em>

<em>Marijuana Compound May Help Stop Diabetic Retinopathy</em>

<em>Marijuana Compound May Help Stop Diabetic Retinopathy</em>

<em></em>

<em>Anticoagulant Effects of a Cannabis Extract in an Obese Rat Model</em>

<em>Anticoagulant effects of a Cannabis extract in an obese rat model.</em>

<em></em>

<em>Neuroprotective and Blood-Retinal Barrier-Preserving Effects of Cannabidiol</em>

<em>Neuroprotective and Blood-Retinal Barrier-Preserving Effects of Cannabidiol in Experimental Diabetes -- El-Remessy et al. 168 (1): 235 -- American Journal of Pathology</em>

<em></em>

<em>The Cannabinergic System as a Target for Anti-inflammatory Therapies</em>

<em>http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conten...00013/art00008</em>

<em></em>

<em>Effect of tetrahydrocurcumin on blood glucose, plasma insulin and hepatic key enzymes</em>

<em>Unbound MEDLINE | Effect of tetrahydrocurcumin on blood glucose, plasma insulin and hepatic key enzymes in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Journal article</em>

<em></em>

<em>Cannabidiol reduces the development of diabetes in an animal study</em>

<em>IACM-Bulletin</em>

<em></em>

<em>Getting Eye On Cannabinoids</em>

<em>Getting Eye On Cannabinoids: The Hempire - [cannabis, britain]</em>

<em></em>

<em>Marijuana compound could prevent eye damage in diabetics</em>

<em>Marijuana compound could prevent eye damage in diabetics: The Hempire - [cannabis, hemp]</em>

<em></em>

<em>The synthetic cannabinoid HU-210 attenuates neural damage in diabetic mice</em>

<em>Diabetes | Evolutionism | Dr. Bob Melamede</em>

<em></em>

<em>Cannabidiol arrests onset of autoimmune diabetes in NOD mice</em>

<em>CSA: Cannabis Research - Diabetes</em>

<em></em>

<em>Cannabidiol attenuates high glucose-induced endothelial cell inflammatory response and barrier disruption</em>

<em>Cannabidiol attenuates high glucose-induced endothelial cell inflammatory response and barrier disruption</em>

<em></em>

<em>Biological effects of THC and a lipophilic cannabis extract on normal and insulin resistant 3T3-L1 adipocytes</em>

<em>Unbound MEDLINE | Biological effects of THC and a lipophilic cannabis extract on normal and insulin resistant 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Journal article</em>

<em></em>

<em>Beneficial effects of a Cannabis sativa extract on diabetes induced neuropathy and oxidative stress.</em>

<em>Unbound MEDLINE | Beneficial effects of a Cannabis sativa extract treatment on diabetes-induced neuropathy and oxidative stress. Journal article</em>

<em></em>

<em>Beneficial effects of a Cannabis sativa extract treatment on diabetes-induced neuropathy and oxidative stress.</em>

<em>Unbound MEDLINE | Beneficial effects of a Cannabis sativa extract treatment on diabetes-induced neuropathy and oxidative stress. Journal article</em>

<em></em>

<em></em>

<em>Happy reading!</em>
I am hearing reports of diabetics going off insulin while using rso/bho. So we need to discuss this and share the info. others want to get off their insulin or their diabetic meds. This will help us all be safer while taking diabetic meds.

So I have diabetes and take insulin and oral pills also. I also take rso/bho. I notice that when I take 7 drops of bho at night before bed my blood sugars are 80 in the am. It was 140 at bedtime and I also took a metformin. I have had my fasting blood sugar at 67 which is too low. so my sugars are inconsistent and usually low after taking some drops. I also take 1 drop during the day. I have not noticed it affecting my blood sugar.

What's been your experience?
why are you taking pills and shooting insulin?

you are either type 1 or type 2, the docs should not be treating you for both. They made that mistake with my wife. If you are on insulin, you are Type 1.. If you take pills you have type 2

what insulin are you on?

did your endo ever tell you what to do when you get sick with diabetes? MOST DON'T AND IT ALMOST KILLED MY WIFE ~~ DKA (Diabetic ketoacidosis) is real.

Most doctors don't check for keytones when you are sick and DKA symptoms MATCH THE FLU!

do you have a correction chart and are you familiar how to use it ??
side note: don't believe everything that comes out of the endocrinologist's mouth.. Do your own research
Yes, some diabetics can be on oral and insulin meds. The goal is to keep the blood sugar between 70-135 period. So I do argue with my endocrinologist who is amazed that one can lose weight on insulin and gradually decrease the meds. He says Aic is best at 6.5-7 and the research says lower so...

I am finding that 5 drops of bho can lower blood sugar 50 points but it is not consistent. Sometimes it only lowers it 20 points. So I guess I need to start measuring the different levels of cannabinoids and find the one that lowers the insulin resistence the best. They are doing research on this but it will be years before we find out.
let me know what you come up with, I am interested in this
I have found certain strains smoked can really take the ,"icky" feeling away that accompanies high blood sugars. In my experience sativa dominate strains do the job without the need for a 3 hour nap! I am interested in Med nurse's findings with bho and blood sugars also! My a1c is hovering around 7.2 so every bit will help.

I am also interested in CBD and reversing diabetic retinopathy. I am in the process of collecting CBD rich strains to work with in Portland. Has anybody had experience with CBD crew strains or Cannatonic? I will purchase several strains and then the work will begin. Are there any other type 1 diabetic members here? I would like to correspond with other diabetic OMMP patients. Who knows, maybe a new diabetes/cannabis research group could be formed!
Quote:<div>
I have found certain strains smoked can really take the ,"icky" feeling away that accompanies high blood sugars. In my experience sativa dominate strains do the job without the need for a 3 hour nap! I am interested in Med nurse's findings with bho and blood sugars also! My a1c is hovering around 7.2 so every bit will help.

I am also interested in CBD and reversing diabetic retinopathy. I am in the process of collecting CBD rich strains to work with in Portland. Has anybody had experience with CBD crew strains or Cannatonic? I will purchase several strains and then the work will begin. Are there any other type 1 diabetic members here? I would like to correspond with other diabetic OMMP patients. Who knows, maybe a new diabetes/cannabis research group could be formed!

</div>
I would like to be your assistant here on the web site. I will build a new forum here just on Diabetes and then maybe you can help us fill it with your findings studies and research.

I will build it now and put the link here.

Thanks

[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" width="20" height="20">
Here is your new forum on

Diabetes
Diabetes/Cannabis Research

http://freemygreenpdx.com/index.php?/forum/167-diabetes/

Thank You EK Very Much... Another Medical Challenge I Have To Learn And Be Aware AboutJust Like When I Take My BP.

Gosh This SUCKS ! They Say I'm Pre-Diabetic {Is That Type 1 ?} After Denying Me Needed Surgery Because In Less Than One Day This

Vascular Surgeon Changed His Mind !I Just Learned About This New Malady---> DiabetesA Few Days Ago And Then Promptly Hid Under

The Covers For Days Until Now. Man, This Is All I Need.

I Was Tested Just 3 Or So Years Ago/No More That 3 Years Ago-SoWhere Did It Come From A Guy Who's

Been A Vegetarian For Over 33-34 Years-My Wife Since Birth And Cured Herself By Changing Her Diet {She Beat Type 2 !}

Hope This Discussion Continues-I'm More Lost Than Ever... Peace, BW[img]/emoticons/smileybong1.gif[/img]