Welcome Guest to the new home of OMMP Pay it Forward. Please reset your password reset password! if you haven't already. Make sure to check your spam/junk folder for it. x

Smile Welcome members and clients of OMMP PIF. Due to increased costs, our website has moved to this server,  Thanks go to our Friend and colleague, Wired57, for making this possible.  If you have any questions or concerns, please start a new topic in  Arrow  General, and we'll look right into it.  Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile x

Big Grin Thank you EDDIEKIRK & Cheri! for all your hard work over the years. Big Grin x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The new strain of cannabis that could help treat psychosis
The new strain of cannabis that could help treat psychosisTom Ireland

11/15/2014

Although widely seen as a potential trigger for schizophrenia, marijuana also contains an ingredient that appears to have antipsychotic effects. Tom Ireland visits the UKs only licensed cannabis farm and meets the man responsible for breeding a plant that might be of benefit to millions

In an enormous glasshouse a few hours from London, theres a powerful, unmistakable smell in the air: its the one that seems to cling to some surly teenagers and drifts around on the breeze at pop festivals. Here, 30,000 cannabis plants sway gently beneath giant fans and immensely bright lights. Only the remarkable uniformity of the plants and the people walking round in lab coats tells you the place isnt some drug lords illicit cannabis factory.

This is the only research facility in the UK licensed to grow cannabis on a vast commercial scale. Here, Dr David Potter has overseen the production of nearly 2m cannabis plants, mostly for medical research or the production of the cannabis-based multiple sclerosis drug Sativex. He is director of botany and cultivation for GW Pharmaceuticals, a company that is exploring how cannabis could help treat a range of illnesses ranging from epilepsy to cancer.

Recently Potter and GWs team have turned their attention to developing a cannabis-based treatment for psychosis and related illnesses such as schizophrenia. For a drug that is widely seen as a trigger for acute psychotic illness in young users, this at first sounds preposterous. But, as Potter explains, the cannabis plant is much more than just a psychedelic weed.

The most well-known ingredient in cannabis that gets people high is THC [or tetrahydrocannabinol], says Potter, who often travels to give talks in London carrying a suspicious-smelling suitcase of the plants. But THC is just one of dozens of potentially useful cannabinoids in the plant.

Cannabinoids are chemicals that act on the brains cannabinoid receptors, part of a system that regulates a variety of,.....

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/...vid-potter

They are calling it Amanda Bynes [img]/emoticons/default_Silly.gif[/img]
Well to get an anti psychotic effect from cannabis id feel the plant would need to be high in cbd which has anti psychotic properties to it. Thc in people with schizophrenia can be kind of iffy and often causes worse symptoms. Ive had to deal with psychosis for some time and definitely know that cbd has more potential then does thc in psychosis.
The funny thing is I was reading about this yesterday! I have been diagnosedschizophrenia and other things and can say that this would be amazing. I have a lot of physical pain on a continues basis as well, doctors have no clue or they can not see putting me through tests due to costs, which I do understand. I amextremelyin favor of this due to the fact that I do not like the high from any thing, itimpairsme to much and I don't like tohaveissueswith motor skills as mine are not that great to begin with.
Thanks for sharing. Here is an excerpt from "Cannabidiol as an antipsychotic drug" in the Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research (2006) 39: 421-429

Quote:A high dose of 9-tetrahydrocannabinol, the main Cannabis sativa (cannabis) component, induces anxiety and psychotic-like symptoms in healthy volunteers. These effects of 9-tetrahydrocannabinol are significantly reduced by cannabidiol (CBD), a cannabis constituent which is devoid of the typical effects of the plant. This observation led us to suspect that CBD could have anxiolytic and/or antipsychotic actions. Studies in animal models and in healthy volunteers clearly suggest an anxiolytic-like effect of CBD. The antipsychotic-like properties of CBD have been investigated in animal models using behavioral and neurochemical techniques which suggested that CBD has a pharmacological profile similar to that of atypical antipsychotic drugs. The results of two studies on healthy volunteers using perception of binocular depth inversion and ketamine-induced psychotic symptoms supported the proposal of the antipsychotic-like properties of CBD. In addition, open case reports of schizophrenic patients treated with CBD and a preliminary report of a controlled clinical trial comparing CBD with an atypical antipsychotic drug have confirmed that this cannabinoid can be a safe and well-tolerated alternative treatment for schizophrenia. Future studies of CBD in other psychotic conditions such as bipolar disorder and comparative studies of its antipsychotic effects with those produced by clozapine in schizophrenic patients are clearly indicated.

<div>
</div>

which can be found here: <a data-ipb="nomediaparse" href="http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.188.4196&rep=rep1&type=pdf">http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.188.4196&rep=rep1&type=pdf</a>
All this hype about thc man... [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" width="20" height="20">
All this hype over old news and schizophrenia. GW folks are a bunch of profiteering gluttons. That being said, cannabis does not cause or trigger schizophrenia. It may, in some people already predisposed to developing it, to exhibit signs earlier, but that is not the same as causing schizophrenia. Any mental health professional will tell you that early diagnosis is the key to good treatment/management of symptoms, so.... Also, why is the brain the only part of your body that can be damaged or sick, and you get no sympathy. Foot, arm, heart, anything else and people are there with help and donations, if it's mental, then forget about it (said with Italian gangster accent). And from personal experience, whole plant medicine is better than any isolated molecule for easing symptoms.

Peace
personally I prefer the THC, it seems to calm my anxiety and PTSD better as well as my depression. I also like Indica over Sativa for that reason. The THC lets me not think about it. I need to be able to shut my head up and CBD doesn't do that.